Co-op Cup final abandoned with 31 minutes to go following persistent rain
17 August 2024

There’s great disappointment amongst Harris FC supporters after last night’s (Friday)
Co-op Cup Final was abandoned with the pitch deemed unplayable with just half an
hour to go following heavy rain.
Officials first suspended the match and then formally abandoned the game.
Harris was in the lead with 2-0 score against Westside and their numerous supporters
who travelled the distance to Stornoway with high expectations are deeply downhearted
at the way the evening ended.
A statement from the Lewis and Harris Football Association said: “Unfortunately (Friday’s)
Co-op Cup Final had to be abandoned after 59 minutes of play.
“Earlier in the day, several pitch inspections had been undertaken and the forecast
had been reviewed.
“The pitch was deemed playable and although rain was forecast it was expected to
be dry from 7pm onwards.
“Smith Avenue had been booked as an alternative venue but a joint decision was made
to proceed at Goathill.”
The association explained as the match progressed, and the rainfall become very heavy,
“concerns for player safety were raised by the match officials.
“After consultation with the association and both managers, it was agreed to pause
the game whilst ground staff attempted to clear the areas affected the most.
“Unfortunately it was not possible.”
The statement added: “An option was posed to both teams to proceed at an alternative
ground near by but with no agreement there was no other option but to call a halt
to the fixture. (There was also no guarantee that the alternative venue would’ve
been playable).”
The association extended their thanks to the supporters who “remained throughout
and their patience as deliberations were undertaken.
“Thanks also to both clubs for their understanding and conduct following the decision.
“Grateful also to Goathill Amenity Group for their efforts in very difficult conditions.
“Finally, a thanks to the match officials who tried their best to see the match played
to conclusion and engaged fully with both clubs and association representatives.”
Details on next steps will be made available in due course said the football association.